What precautions should be taken when using my S.T.Dupont lighter?
- Only fill the lighter with S.T.Dupont gas.
- Keep the lighter out of reach of children.
- Use with care as the lighter contains pressurised, flammable liquid.
- Never expose to temperatures above 50 °C or direct sunlight for long period
- Do not refill near to a naked flame.
- Hold away from your face and clothing when lighting, adjusting or filling.
- Do not perforate or burn lighters or cartridges.
- Only adjust the lighter using devices designed for this purpose.
- Contact an S.T.Dupont agent
How do I refill my S.T.Dupont lighter?
Important: Never perform operations near to a naked flame.
For lines 1 and 2 and the GATSBY line:
- Purge the tank by pushing down on the valve head (using a pencil).
- Refilling is achieved by a difference in pressure. Warm the refill up in your hand but leave the lighter away from any source of heat (the difference in temperature enables you to control refilling).
- Tighten the refill all the way, without forcing it. The transparent part of the refill lets you control refilling.
For the MiniJet/MaxiJet line:
- Position your lighter vertically with the flame hole at the bottom.
- Put the tip of the S.T.Dupont refill straight into the valve and push all the way down without forcing it. Hold for a few seconds.
For the D line:
- Put the cartridge straight into the fill valve.
- Push it all the way down without forcing it and hold for 5 seconds, then repeat.
N.B.: This refill lets you refill your lighter twice.
For the D-light line:
- To access the refill valve, lift up the bottom plate with your fingernails and turn it to lock it in place.
- For optimum refilling, we recommend purging the tank by pushing down on the valve head (using a pencil or something similar).
- Then put the cartridge straight into the refill valve and push it all the way down without forcing it. Hold for 5 seconds, then repeat until the gas escapes.
N.B.: This refill lets you refill your lighter 5 times.
We recommend waiting 5 minutes before using the lighter. This gives your product time to return to ambient temperature.
Important: Using certain refills or other systems can be dangerous and can damage your lighter. It is strongly recommended to use S.T.Dupont gas as it guarantees the purity required for correct operation of the product.
How do I refill my S.T.Dupont pen?
All S.T.Dupont ballpoint pens, apart from the mini Olympio, have a ball/pencil mechanism.
Major S.T.Dupont innovation: they can be loaded with either a ball refill or a lead refill with an eraser, for greater flexibility. This practical mechanism can be operated one-handed. Twist the cap of your pen by half a turn until it stops to bring out the point.
To switch from ballpoint pen to pencil and vice versa:
- Take off the cap.
- Unscrew the refill or, for the mini Olympio, the mechanism anticlockwise.
- Screw on the other refill or mechanisms.
To change the ball or pencil refill of your Classique, Olympio Large and Medium or Caprice pen:
- Proceed as if you were changing from pen to pencil.
- Then just replace your used pen or pencil refill with a new one.
- S.T.Dupont fountain pens can be reloaded with cartridges or a removable pump (converter). They offer a choice of nibs for every taste and different writing habits.
To change the ring on your Caprice:
- Open your pen as if you were going to change your refill or cartridge.
- Pull the ring off.
- Replace your ring with a new one: there are 2 small lugs to guide positioning.
How do I maintain my S.T.Dupont product?
To take care of your S.T.Dupont object, refill or change the flint on your lighter or refill your pen, we recommend reading the instructions.
Your S.T.Dupont lighter does not need much maintenance. To restore its original shine, you can clean all types of coating using a soft cloth (never use solvent-based products). For all silver-plated parts, use a special silversmith’s cloth, available commercially. For all natural lacquer parts, do as you would for glasses lenses or jewellery. Mist up the surface and rub with a soft cloth. The lacquer is practically impregnable by acids. It is incredibly hard and resistant to impacts, scratches, friction and water.
Your S.T.Dupont pen does not need much maintenance. To restore its original shine, you can clean it using a soft cloth (never use solvent-based products). For all silver-plated parts, use a special silversmith’s cloth. Silver is a precious material that can show signs of oxidisation. Oxidisation is a natural phenomenon that can be heightened if your pen has prolonged contact with leather or rubber.
Only the fountain pen requires special attention: S.T.Dupont cartridges should be used if possible. Remember to clean the fountain pen’s feed regularly. Use the converter to circulate cold water in the capillary, repeating the piston effect until the water discharged is clear. To prevent leaks during air travel, fit your pen with a new cartridge or a full converter and transport with the nib upwards.
Leather is a natural material and you need to care of it. To start with, leather is sensitive to water. It is therefore important to avoid prolonged contact and to dry your briefcase or wallet by dabbing it with a soft, light-coloured, cotton cloth if it gets wet. Similarly, leather is sensitive to heat, humidity and strong sunlight. It is strongly recommended to keep any leather items away from heat sources. And to clean the leather, do not use any wax or waterproofing type of maintenance product, but a slightly damp cloth made from a neutral colour, soft cotton.